RE: Syntarsus says farewell...

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> David Marjanovic
>
> > Poor Syntarus... I always liked that name... Still the laws of
> nomenclature
> > must be upheld.
>
> Unless someone petitions the ICZN...

Unfortunately, this is pretty much an "open-and-shut" case.  Raath erred in
giving the coelophysoid a pre-occupied name.  Ivie et al. were a bit
unethical in the WAY they did the renaming (see Ben Creisler's excellent,
informative, and sad post), but like it or not "Syntarsus" is, and always
has been, properly the name of the insect, not the dinosaur.

C'est la taxonomie.

And Stephen: my BROTHER is the one studying to be a priest.  I'm simply one
of the fraction of actual professional paleontologists who still subscribes
and posts to the lists, hoping that my personal experience might be helpful
to others.  Anyone may do with my advice what they will.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite