Hellenomania (was re: "Megapnosaurus" says farewell...)

In a message dated Mon, 4 Feb 2002  4:06:36 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Jaime A.
Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com> writes:

>   Examples of the double "o" in Latinized greek words include *Troodon*
> Leidy and *Achelousaurus* Sampson, both dinosaurs. there, the names
> derived from roots which bear a omicron-omega doublet of vowels,

In _apnoos_ they are both omicrons (they were originally separated by a digamma
[[w] sound], which shows up as a "u" in related words like _pneumatic_).

>   "Megalapnoosaurus* [I beleive the end "s" in _apnoos_ can be dropped in
> stems, Ben or Nick?]

Has to be dropped, as it is not part of the stem at all (it's a case/number
ending).

>   *Achelousaurus* = ah-KEHL-oh-ah-SAWR-uhs ; Acheloos, Greek river deity
> (notable for having a horn torn from its skull thanks to Heracles, and one
> candidate for the cornucopeia myth).

The two o's in this name would never have been contracted to "ou".  Should have
been "acheloosaurus" or even "acheloeosaurus".  I don't really have an opinion
on where the stress(es) go(es), except to say that in Latin the primary stress
would have been on "sau", and in Greek on the syllable before that.

--Nick P.