Re: Breadth of a Genus (was Re: "Megapnosaurus" says farewell...and enter Coe...

In a message dated 2/4/02 9:32:11 AM Pacific Standard Time, NJPharris@aol.com
writes:

<< I'm getting tired of people using this example as a justification for
large genera.  The genus _Felis_ contains four species:  _F. sylvestris_
(wild cats and domestic cat), _F. chaus_ (jungle cat), _F. bieti_ (Chinese
desert cat), and _F. nigripes_ (black-footed cat).  Some workers would also
include _Otocolobus manul_ (Pallas's cat), and some would separate out the
domestic cat as _F. catus_.  I think most contemporary workers agree that the
rest of the extant species belong in other genera, a dozen or more. >>

       Speaking of cats, off-topically, I recently found this interesting
website along with this beautiful drawing by Mauricio Anton:
http://www.felidae.org/PROJECTS/Andean_Mountain_Cat/M_Anton_jacobita_drawings/

m_anton_jacobita_drawings.htm

DV