Re: Dewlap

My understanding is that in extant squamates that have dewlaps, the
dewlap is extended by a movement of the hyoid apparatus.  In most
cases, the small bones of the hyoid appar. bow outward to extend the
dewlap.  The dewlap itself is all soft tissue, there are no bones
running throughout it, it simply erects because of the tension created
by the hyoid appar. and associated musculature.  I don't think these
bones are often fossilized.

--Mike Habib
habib@virginia.edu