RE: SCIENCE AND CLASSIFICATION

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Just so that I don't build a strawman -- would you consider
> *Petrolacosaurus*, *Prolacerta*, *Protorosaurus*, *Macrocnemus*,
> *Varanosaurus* lizards then, or maybe sphenodonts? They certainly looked
> like lizards and have no close living relatives. Or would you ignore
> them asfossils?

While we're at it, let's go back to classifying elephants, rhinos and hippos
as Pachydermata.  Trying to figure out the interrelationships of these and
other mammals is very complicated, and I think all the terminology is
scaring poor Philidor.  Of course, Philidor could try and become acquainted
with the phylogenetic issues involved (such as the distinctions between true
lizards and sphenodonts), but I'm sure he has better things to do.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall