Re: SCIENCE AND CLASSIFICATION

In a message dated Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:46:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"philidor11" <philidor11@snet.net> writes:

> Please consider the idea that the vernacular and the scientific should be
> similar as much as possible.

Well, for living forms (which is all most people ever think about anyway),
they're often already the same.  Every living bird is a member of Aves, and no
living member of Aves is anything we would not call a bird (at least in
English).  The vast majority of the general public doesn't care what else we
taxonomist types put in there.  What's the problem?

--Nick P.