Re: R: Agnosphytis Etymology

In a message dated Tue, 5 Feb 2002  8:14:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, "calzola"
<calzola@iol.it> writes:

> I think the -gn- sound- which is "impossible" in english(I mean ,impossible
> to do the same way we do it, because it's not contemplated by your
> pronounciation rules,IINM) - may be best approached by something like
> the -nyo- portion in e.g. canyon, even if it's still different.

It is traditional in English (and German) to pronounce -gn- sequences with a
hard "g" and a normal "n".

In both Classical Greek and Classical Latin, -gn- sequences were apparently
pronounced like sequences of "ng" plus "n", where "ng" is a velar nasal like in
English "sing".  That is, "g" was pronounced "ng" before "n" (and also before
"m").

--Nick P.