RE: Archaeopteryx and Parental Care

George Olshevsky wrote:

> When these arboreal
>leapers and gliders were grounded, hind limbs alone carried them on the
>ground and back up into trees; climbing-gliding forelimbs were useless
>in terrestrial locomotion.

The behavior of non-human primates suggests that forelimbs can in fact be
readily used for both climbing/gliding and terrestrial locomotion.
Otherwise, fully bipedal primates would have sprung up in the Paleocene.

T. Mike Keesey asked:

>When did prolacertiforms become dinosaurs??

Well, we're still waiting for supporting evidence from the fossil record.
I'm sure it's just around the corner though...

Tim

Timothy J. Williams

USDA/ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall