Re: SCIENCE AND CLASSIFICATION

I requested:
Please consider the idea that the vernacular and the scientific should be
similar as much as possible.
and you replied:
Well, for living forms (which is all most people ever think about anyway),
they're often already the same.  Every living bird is a member of Aves, and
no living member of Aves is anything we would not call a bird (at least in
English).  The vast majority of the general public doesn't care what else we
taxonomist types put in there.  What's the problem?

Expressed that way, no problem at all.
We've agreed birds have a permanent, identical definition in the vernacular
and scientifically.  Debate over classification of fossil animals will not,
cannot change the definition.  On the close calls, whatever isn't a bird is
a dinosaur (or something else).
Thank you.