Re: dinosaur@usc.edu

David Marjanovic wrote-

> Thanks a lot. :-) The new *Sinornithosaurus* paper cites E & W 1996 _for_
> that feature in Archie, though, and in some (not all) figures in the
latter
> paper the quadratojugals do look fully triradiate. I'll have a look at
> *Erlikosaurus*, but so far this character (by itself) looks a lot like an
> autapomorphy of a clade that includes Archie and the "dromaeosaurs" but
not
> Pygostylia.

I'm trying hard to code characters based on what I see, not what has been
said to exist (though I'm still dependant on others' data matrices for lots
of codings).  Although Paul illustrates Archaeopteryx with a quadratojugal
that might be considered triradiate, the figure in Elzanowski and Wellnhofer
(1993; fig. 7B) shows the bone is not well preserved, but seems to have only
a small posterior process (as seen in some oviraptorids, etc.).  Indeed,
examination of figure 12 in that paper confirms that the posterior process
is too short to qualify as a T-shaped quadratojugal.

Mickey Mortimer