Re: What's this stegosaur?

    Luc J. "Aspidel" BAILLY asked, "What's this: http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/7751/dino1.jpg ?"

    I'm no expert, but it looks like a metal sculpture to me.  :)

    But we can be reasonably sure that the sculpture was intended to reconstruct Wuerhosaurus homheni, Dong 1973, an Early Cretaceous stegosaur roughly 120 years old, out of the Lianmuging Formation of the Tigulu Group, and found near or in the town of Wuerho in Xinjiang, Uygur Zizhiqu, People's  Republic of China.   Also, limited material was found in the Ejinhoro Formation, Ordos Basin, Inner Mongolia.

    So far as I can determine, the bones found are inadequate to reconstruct an accurate concept of the appearance of this dinosaur, especially as to the shape of the plates atop the spine.  At least one such plate has been found (It is elongated horizontally, but not very tall, proportionally.), but that leaves a lot of the external image of this animal to artistic guesswork.

    Ray Stanford

"You know my method.  It is founded upon the observance of trifles." -- Sherlock Holmes in The Boscombe Valley Mystery