Re: utahraptor conemporaries and more

You wrote:

>can anyone send me info on the unnamed brachiosaur i've heard that
coexisted
>with utahraptor? as well as eolambia, and the unnamed iguanodont,
>ankylosaur, nodosaur, and dromaesaur?

Alright, maybe I'm not the best person to reply to this thread, but I'll
give it try:
- some very small pictures are on the web available for these guys, at least
for the Brachiosaur, maybe Sauroposeidon since both lived at approximatly
the same time, and that is known from about 4 cervicals and a rib if I
recall correctly. The total length for this animal is guessed at around 25
metres, perhaps a bit longer, but it's hard to give a detailed comment about
since it is so fragmentary. For some good pictures, go to www.google.com and
search in the image data-base.
- Eolambia is on the website of Tracy Ford (www.dinohunter.info), although
he's lurking at the moment, his page still boasts some of the best
reconstructions available on the web. Better check the Dinosauricon for some
extra info on this genus.

>were acrocanthosaurus, astrodon, and euhelopus contemporaries? if so, i'd
>appreciate any information on astrodon and euhelopus as well as links or
>photos of fossils or skeletal reconstructions.

Acrocanthosaurus and Astrodon (or Pleurocoelus) are contempories, but
Euhelopus is from the late Jurassic from Asia. Links for these genera, there
is a wonderfull .pdf available about Acrocanthosaurus describing the
recently discovered material of this animal somewhere. I do have it on .pdf,
so if you can't seem to find it on the web, just contact me off-list about
it. On the page by Greg Wenzel there is also a skeletal recontruction of it,
but the details are less and the skull is relatively to big. Here's the URL
for that one: www.geocities.com/gregwenzelart/sculpture01.html It isn't a
immediatly link, but follow the links and eventually you'll get there.
Euhelopus is drawn by Greg Paul in the Complete Dinosaur and the Scientific
American Book of Dinosaurs in a wonderfull detailed skeletal picture. Hope
this is available to you, don't know if I can copy it without permission and
send to you. Don't want to violate any copyright-involved thingies.
Astrodon, as well as Euhelopus, is very rare on the web, some remains are on
the www.dinosaurweb.com page, a scapula and a ilium of a juvenile, not that
much. Further on the Lousiana dinosaur-page ( I think) there is a picture of
a giant partial distal femur, scaled with a small hammer. Have the pic, as
well as some other remains, contact me off-list if you want to, and again,
better checkt the Dinosauricon web-page for additional info.

>also, regarding utahraptor, the few bits of the skull that were found that
>i've seen are from the dentary. how does the morphology of the skull
compare
>to deinonychus, velociraptor and other dromaesaurs? is the skull deeper? is
>it upturned or does it slope down as deinonychus' apparently did?

Basicly, the skull is more massive with a straighter premaxilla. That's all,
but the cranial elements are a bit sparce: a postorbital, some teeth, a
nasal and a premaxilla (the maxilla, as was poster by HP Mickey Mortimer,
turned out to be the postorbital of Gastonia (which is probably a plant,
type it at the google image directory and a lot of plant material turns up))
A maxilla of it's relative, Achillobator, is available at the Dinodata site
(www.dinodata.net ) under C.M.M. As for the shape of the skull, it was
sloping down, since Velociraptor and "ichabodcraniosaurus" are the only
known forms from which the skull is upturned. Basicly, the skull is a more
massive version of the one of Deinonychus.

>sorry about the barrage of questions, i know i'm asking for a lot, but i
>appreciate it!

Hope this has helped you!

Rutger Jansma