Re: Confuciusornithids are Oviraptorids ;-)

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:49:41
 David Marjanovic wrote:

>BTW, has someone meanwhile found out who defined Pygostylia when? I haven't.
>Thanks in advance for info.

Well, David, I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but
Chiappe (2001) defined the clade in the Ostrom Symposium volume.  He diagnosed
Pygostylia by using four synapomorphies: the loss of hyposphene-hypantrum
articulations in the thoracic vertebrae, the presence of a pygostyle (!), the
presence of a retroverted pubis forming an agle of 65-45 degrees from the main
synsacral axis, and the presence of a wide and bulbous medial condyle of the
tibiotarsus.  He puts both the Confuciusornithidae and the Ornithothoraces (as
sister groups) into the clade.

I also believe Chatterjee (1997...in his book) may have mentioned a clade
Pygostylia, but I doubt he defined it.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com