Re: Gauthier and de Queiroz's Classification of Birds

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/12/02 2:59:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> tmk@dinosauricon.com writes:
>
> << _Panaves_ (new clade name) = Clade(_Vultur gryphus_ <-- _Crocodylus
>  niloticus_) >>
>
> I use the name Ornithes for this clade. Better than "Panaves" (which might be
> a good name for an airline) and there's a small chance it has already been
> published somewhere.

Man, *everybody* wants to name this clade. By my count, eight different
names have been used for it: _Aves_, _Panaves_, _Ornithotarsi_,
_Ornithosuchia_, _Avemetatarsalia_, _Ornithodira_ (apparently as used by
some authors), Dracones (well, this could just be the node), and Ornithes
(if it's been published, that is).

How to choose?
T. MICHAEL KEESEY
  BloodySteak             <http://www.bloodysteak.com>