Re: "Megapnosaurus" says farewell...

dinoland@lycos.com writes:

<< There is absolutely nothing to designate whether two animals should be put
in the same genus or two separate genera.  I mean, if I wanted to I _could_
place _Syntarsus_ (the beetle!) and a rabbit in the same genus.  Who would
stop me?  It may seem ridiculous...but there is no convenient definition, a
la species. >>

Well, then your genus, since it would have to be a clade, would also include
all other arthropods, all chordates, and a bunch of other invertebrate phyla.
These would, for convenience, have to be subdivided into subgenera,
subsubgenera, and so forth. So eventually you'd be back where you started,
only at a different taxonomic level.