Re: "Megapnosaurus" says farewell...

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:02:24
 Dinogeorge wrote:
   dinoland@lycos.com writes:

<< There is absolutely nothing to designate whether two animals should be put
   in the same genus or two separate genera.  I mean, if I wanted to I _could_
   place _Syntarsus_ (the beetle!) and a rabbit in the same genus.  Who would
   stop me?  It may seem ridiculous...but there is no convenient definition, a
   la species. >>

>Well, then your genus, since it would have to be a clade, would also include
>   all other arthropods, all chordates, and a bunch of other invertebrate
> phyla.
>   These would, for convenience, have to be subdivided into subgenera,
>   subsubgenera, and so forth. So eventually you'd be back where you started,
> only at a different taxonomic level.

Yes, exactly.  I'd be back where I started: a taxonomic mess.  Certainly
recognizing two genera in this instance (_Syntarsus_ and any genus of rabbit I
choose) would be more convenient, as it would minimize the messy subgenera,
etc.  But, it is still as subjective as grouping rabbits and _Syntarsus_ into
the same genus.  Convenience, like subjectivity, shouldn't be what guides
scientists.  Otherwise, Avogadro's number could be designated as 6.0 x 10^23.
Convenient?  Yes.  Correct?  Only partially.

><< I have never quite understood why _Psittacosaurus_ has something like
>seven or eight valid species, but _Coelophysis_, _Syntarsus_ (Raath),
>_Eucoelophysis_, etc. were placed in separate genera.  It's aesthetic
>philosophy, not science sensu stricto. >>
>
>So far nobody has been able to come up with a consistent way to group
>together the various species of Psittacosaurus. You either have x species or
>x genera. They all look enough alike that the species level is considered
>more appropriate.

Exactly.  Nobody has been able to subjectively come up with a consistent way to
group the species of _Psittacosaurus_ into anything but one genus.  In this
case, as George said, the species level is _considered_ more appropriate.
However, there is no widely-accepted definition or principle that merits this.
I think we all know that.

Regards,
Steve

****
Steve Brusatte
Dino Land Paleontology
http://www.geocities.com/stegob
****

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com