Re: Dinosaur trackway questions

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:51:44
 Jordan Mallon wrote:

>Also, I was wondering about the status of the supposed "swimming theropod"
>trackway, attributable to the _Eubrontes_ ichnogenus and described by Coombs
>(1980).  Is it still considered valid?  Has there ever been any controversy
>surrounding this fossil?
>Thanks.

Jordan et al.,
As far as I know, the "swimming" _Eubrontes_ is still considered valid.  I
haven't seen any published works to express otherwise, and it is certainly
treated as a valid hypothesis at Dinosaur State Park (not that that really
means anything scientifically, but...).

Judging by Coombs' paper, the evidence seems to fit.  The tracks were very
similar to trackways produced by modern terrestrial "swimmers," IIRC.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Go Get It!
Send FREE Valentine eCards with Lycos Greetings
http://greetings.lycos.com