----- Original Message -----
From: "Mickey_Mortimer11" <Mickey_Mortimer11@email.msn.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 1:52 AM

> > _Avifilopluma_ (new clade name) = Clade("feathers" in _Vultur gryphus_)
> > ("'Feathers' refers to hollow-based, filamentous, epidermal appendages
> > produced by follicles." [...])

BTW, "parafeathers" are hollow, but not in the least filamentous, they are
obviously epidermal appendages, but AFAIK nothing can be said about whether
they were produced by follicles. So they wouldn't count.

> > _Carinatae_ = Clade("keeled sternum" in _Vultur gryphus_)
>
> Again, I'll ignore pterosaurs.  Presumedly organisms that are so many
> "phylogenetic distance units" away don't count towards apomorphy-based
> definitions anymore.

"(apomorphy) in (species)" is short for "the first organism that possessed
(apomorphy) _homologous to that in (species)_ and all its descendants". So
nothing that's just one node away counts. Whether *Mononykus*,
*Confuciusornis* and maybe even *Ingenia* would count might depend on one's
phylogenetic hypothesis, apart from interpretation of when a keel is a keel;
*Sinraptor* (just reading the paper -- that keel is impressive) certainly
wouldn't count.

> But no, wait, those aren't traditional carinates at all.

_Traditionally_ Carinatae is the opposite of Ratitae, like Neo- and
Palaeognathae, just at different rank. The inclusion of *Ichthyornis* is a
relatively recent phenomenon.