Re: Gauthier and de Queiroz's Classification of Birds

David Marjanovc (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:

<_Traditionally_ Carinatae is the opposite of Ratitae, like Neo- and
Palaeognathae, just at different rank. The inclusion of *Ichthyornis* is a
relatively recent phenomenon.>

  Carinatae has been phylogenetically defined as the most recent common
ancestor of *Ichthyornis dispar* (who Clarke is working on resolving the
material for, bless her soul) and Neornithes. Neornithes is the crown
group birds, *Struthio* + *Corvus* as I would formulate it.

=====
Jaime A. Headden