Re: MULTIPLE INCLUSIVE ANCHORS?

In a message dated 2/13/02 3:18:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Tetanurae@aol.com writes:

> Plus many other
>   stem based taxa with more than one inclusive anchor.  I thought that this
>  could not be possible, because a topology like this [which is technically
>  possible, we don't have the hindsight of the creator of the universe]:
>
>  --+--Gallus
>    `--+--Anser
>       `--Fringilla
>
>  would indicate that this supposed stem based clade  is actually composed
of
>  two different stems that are serial outgroups to Fringilla, and
polyphyletic.

I like it.  If _Anser_ should prove to be closer to _Fringilla_ than to
_Gallus_, then Galloanserae (or whatever clade was being defined here)
self-destructs, and we don't have to deal with it any more, which is a good
thing, since the clade was named specifically to encompass a group including
galliforms and anseriforms but specifically _not_ higher land birds,
including _Fringilla_.

--Nick P.