Re: Introducing: Sinovenator changii

<cf. is short for confer which means compare (imperative). "I can't say
what it is, but compare it to *Sinornithosaurus*, it's sorta kinda
similar, maybe you'll find something interesting" is the full translation
AFAIK, I've used it that way, and I think that's a pretty good idea until
someone figures out what it actually is.>

  In the species usage, the "cf." appellation is used to typically
"loosely" tie a specimen to a taxon without actually referring it. In
Mickey's analyses, he treats this taxon as effective *Sinornithosaurus*.
This says nothing for his character, only the treatment. I may be wrong,
however. But on the issue of the word "confer" (Lat.) I am quite familar
with it's meaning. I use it myself in applying it to referrences such as
(cf. Sereno et al., 1996: *Deltadromeus*). This term is just used
differently in taxonomy. I will never use it taxonomically except to draw
attention, in the proper sense of the word, and will never say a specimen
is "cf. *Genus*" in any way, shape, or form.
Just me, I guess...

=====
Jaime A. Headden