Re: Longer Tails in Birds: Functional "Re"Evolution

>   Actually, birds have redeveloped the long tail. It's just formed from
> feathers rather than flesh and bone. There would be no need to attempt
> some paedomorphic development of the more complete tail when readily
> adaptible structure (feathers) are available, and take less energy to
> modify. This is why [I think] that birds never re-adapted the bony tail.
> It may be no more a simple question than that. Of course, one needs to
> observe birds using this in such a manner as would a bipedal lizard in the
> same instance ... and voila! we have such cases around us. True, in
> hypercursoprial birds like ostriches, there is a very short tail, but this
> is true in hypercursorial theropods, too ... reduction of the tail and
> elevation of the neck resulting in narrowing the turn radius and allow
> greater turning control. Nonetheless, comm ents please?
>

> =====
> Jaime A. Headden

What hypercursorial theropod shows a reduced tail?

Actually, what the heck qualifies as a hypercursorial theropod anyway
(ornithomimosaurs? Tails are still at least half body length)?

Jura

Ectoparasite: external parasites. Some common ectoparasites include: ticks,
mites & personal injury attorneys.

The Reptipage
http://reptilis.net