Re: Introducing: Sinovenator changii

I wrote:

<<Problematically, this appelation is not correct, as the authors never
stated such a referral. This stems from the specimen falling out as next
to *Sinornithosaurus millenii* in Mickey Mortimer's analysis and
subsequently becoming referred to that taxon by conferrence, by Mickey.>>

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer11@email.msn.com) wrote:

<I (surprise, surprise) disagree.  Sure the authors never stated such a
referral, but cf. Sinornithosaurus is the most accurate title for the
specimen until it's studied more closely.  Surely it's better than Ji et
al.'s "Dromaeosauridae gen. et sp. indet.".  First of all, neither
Sinornithosaurus or Microraptor (nor this specimen) are dromaeosaurids.
Deinonychosaurs perhaps (though I doubt it, especially for Microraptor),
but not dromaeosaurids.>

  "Surely it's better" is not a valid excuse. Nor is "is the most accurate
title" when the authors and a subsequent published analysis, plus two
unpublished analyses, continue to designate the specimen by its specimen
number, not a "cf. *Sinornithosaurus*." This leaves the appelation to
personal opinion, nothing else. My statement was to regard the specimen
not by personmal sentiment, but by a fullness of the data that can be
divulged from it. This does not appear to indicate an exactly concise
referrence to *Sinornithosaurus.* As demonstrated by David and myself
earlier today, "cf." is not a usage of appellation of identity of a
specimen that does not bear a name ... it's a means of referring one's
interpretations, and can simply be translated as "look at" ... this is not
how Mickey uses the term, but rather how he identifies the specimen
instead of saying dromaeosaurid indet., or gen. et sp. indet., or so
forth. There is no other valid use of the term, and only in Mickey's
analysis lately does the specimen come out as next to *S. millenii*.
Preferring not to call it NGMC 91 does not validate any other usage.

  As for analysis, you still have yet to observe possible differences
between taxa, and cannot conformably refer specimens to established taxa
without having first studied it first hand ... this should become the
_rule_ in paleontology....

=====
Jaime A. Headden