Re: Recoded Aves introduces a lot of fog?

> We don't know how long Sapeornis' tail was.  We have a couple caudals and
> tiny pygostyle.  It could very well have been like Nomingia and had over
> twenty caudal vertebrae.

But the pygostyle is preserved close to the sacrum, and very few free
caudals are preserved. This is of course little evidence, but IMHO
suggestive. What weighs much heavier is that *Sapeornis* was a good flier,
better than the confuciusornithids, and surely couldn't have afforded a
reasonable tail. Over 20 caudals, maybe (as embryos recent birds have 18 to
23, I've cited once), but then many must have been very short.