Re: MARK NORRELL SAID, today...!!! SAUROPOD FEATHERS! (NO JOKE)

>     I just returned from attending a lecture (with slides) presentation by
> Mark Norrell in the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center's Scientific Colloquia
> 2002 Spring Series.  It was entitled Feathered Dinosaurs.
>
>     To a group of over a hundred NASA employees, Norrell made a statement
> that surprised me and possibly most of those present, judging from audience
> reaction.  It went quite a bit farther than I had anticipated he might go,
> to be sure.  He declared (Capitals represent a word he stressed.), "ALL
> dinosaurs had feathers."  He repeated that statement several times, adding
> that the larger dinosaurs probably lost them (or most of them) when size
> became great enough that they would not need them as insulation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fascinating; we have scale impressions from theropods, sauropods, ceratopians
and hadrosaurs. We have "feather" impressions of only a few theropods, all of
which are maniraptors.

And yet, all dinosaurs had feathers huh?

It reminds me of his video presentation at the AMNH near the _Oviraptor_
skeleton, where he adamantly states that this _Oviraptor_ was proof positive
that birds were dinosaurs, because this animal died while sitting on its nest
like certain lizar..I mean birds do.

Needless to say, I'd love to see the evidence to back up this statement (maybe
someone finally did a follow-up to Zoui and Niswander's studies).

_________________________

> Wanting to be sure he really meant ALL dinosaurs, I asked him in the
> question and answer session, "Minutes ago, you told us that all dinosaurs
> had feathers.  Presuming you meant that, in fact, ALL SPECIES of dinosaurs
> had feathers, at least when young, would one, then, not be far out in left
> field to say that even hatchling SAUROPODS had feathers?"

+++++++++++++++++

So, has Norell *seen* the Patagonia sauropod embryos?

_______________

> He responded that he feels quite certain hatchling sauropods had
> feathers.
>
>     I somewhat wanted to believe Norrell, but then commented that one might
> wonder why we see no signs of feathers or even incipient feathers in the
> beautifully fossilized sauropod embryos found in Patagonia a few years ago
> (1977).
>
>     Norrell responded by suggesting that the embryos were at too early a
> stage to have signs of feathers, but I found that unconvincing because it is
> my understanding that the embryos must have pretty well filled the eggs when
> they died of suffocation due to the eggs getting covered with mud. (I have
> read the book, Walking on Eggs, by Chiappe and Dingus.)

That, and the embryonic sauropods have preserved SCALE impressions.

Again, I must reiterate: has Norell even seen those sauropod embryos?

Well, at the very least, his statement was worth it for the shock value.

Jura

Ectoparasite: external parasites. Some common ectoparasites include: ticks,
mites & personal injury attorneys.

The Reptipage
http://reptilis.net