Re: African Kakuru-like material ( was Mem.Soc.Geol.France title)

R. Irmis wrote-

> <<Apparently the Kakuru-like material from Africa was discussed by
> Philippe Taquet at last years SVP, and a (french) paper is in the works.>>
> I talked to Ralph today, and thats exactly what he said.  To be precise,
the
> material was VERY briefly described in the following paper:
> Taquet, Phillippe. 1985. "Two new Jurassic specimens of coelurosaurs
> (Dinosauria)" in The Beginnings of Birds: Proceedings of the International
> Archaeopteryx Conference, Eichstaett 1984 (M.K. Hecht, J.H. Ostrom, G.
> Viohl, and P. Wellnhofer eds.): p. 229-232.

I have this paper, and Randall's not kidding when he says VERY briefly
described.  Apparently discovered in the Toarcian (Early Jurassic) of
Morocco, it consists of "well preserved skeletal parts".  There is no other
description to speak of, but some pedal elements are figured.  These consist
of- partial astragalus, distal tarsal, metatarsal I, phalanx I-1, ungual I,
metatarsal II, phalanx II-1, phalanx II-2, ungual II, metatarsal III,
phalanx III-1, proximal phalanx III-2, metatarsal IV, phalanx IV-1, phalanx
IV-2, metatarsal V.  Metatarsal III is about 125 mm long, though the
proximal 8 mm may be another distal tarsal adhering to it.  Not much to say
about the morphology, as it's only a photo of a partially prepared broken
pes.  Non-arctometatarsalian, the proximal end of metatarsal III being about
60% of the width of the distal end.  Metatarsals II and IV are subequal in
length.  No specializations of digit II for predation- ungual not enlarged
or especially curved, no heel on phalanx II-2.  The ascending process
doesn't seem to extend over a large part of the astragalus (unlike
coelurosaurs), and is lower than Allosaurus', though it seems broken at the
tip.  I'd expect something like coelophysoids or dilophosaurs to be common
at this time, so wouldn't be surprised if the specimen turned out to be
something similar.  I really don't see much resemblance to Kakuru in the
astragalus.
If anyone wants a scan, contact me offlist.
Also, more information on the "circumstances of the discovery and geological
context in which it was found" is available in-
Jenny, Jenny-Deshusses, Le Marrec and Taquet, 1980. Decouverte d'ossements
de Dinosauriens dans le Jurassique inferieur (Toarcien) du Haut-Atlans
central (Maroc). Comptes Rendus Academie des Sciences. 290 839-842.
Yes, I probably got the exact journal name incorrect, but you all know what
I mean. :-)
I could look this up on Monday at the UW, but wouldn't be able to read it.

Mickey Mortimer