Re: New Cretaceous bird and other papers

Oh, I agree we should try to find fossils anywhere we can. My point was that although evidence of the Accipitridae-Falconidae split might be more likely in the southern hemisphere, there is still a significant chance that this split occurred in the northern hemisphere. It would be a shame if someone found such possible evidence and didn't pursue it thinking that it was biogeographically improbable.

David Marjanovic wrote:
_Nothing_ should dissuade us from looking for fossils _anywhere_. But Neornithes seems to have originated and diversified in South America + Antarctica + Australia, so down there we have the greatest chance of finding interesting LK Neornithes.