Re: New Cretaceous bird and other papers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Brusatte" <dinoland@lycos.com>

> I'm not very familiar with the Seymour Island site (other than what I've
read on list).  But, how reliable is the fossil record of the island?  Is
there enough material present to actually conclude that enantiornithines
certainly did not live in Antarctica?  Based on what I know of Cretaceous
Antarctic fossil sites, the overall material is often incomplete (despite
the fact that sometimes the specimens themselves are complete).

It turns out that I was wrong with "only one site on Seymour Island". See
http://www.cmnh.org/fun/dinosaur-archive/2001Jul/msg00725.html and
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/napc/abs5.html#CaseJ. =8-)

> And, while I know that biogeographic barriers do exist, even for flying
animals, I don't see how any barrier would prevent an entire group of
animals from reaching a landmass.

Climate perhaps? (Almost certainly untestable.)