Re: Would like some opinions about a couple of books

In a message dated Tue, 19 Feb 2002  9:04:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Sally
Shelton" <Shelton.Sally@NMNH.SI.EDU> writes:

< As one of the people who did not come off well in this book, may I say that
no one I know on the government side was contacted by the author in any way? I
did not know about the book until just before it was published, and neither did
my colleagues. It would certainly have been better legal and scientific
reportage if all sides had been allowed to weigh in. But no one I know refused
to cooperate--we were never even given the chance to do so. Cheers, Sally >

Yes, and that is one of the more obvious problems with the book.  First person
quotes are few except for those of the Larsons, Sue H., and Dr. Bakker.  It has
been a while since I read the book, and I will have to check to see whom the
author actually interviewed in his research.  SVP is cast as the villain of the
story.

One prominent paleontologist who was sent an advance copy for the purposes of a
quote on the back cover threw it in the trash.

Mary