RE: Chinshakiangosaurus Elaao, 1956

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Dinogeorge@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 2:49 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Chinshakiangosaurus Elaao, 1956

In a message dated 2/19/02 1:50:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

<< What has actually become of that beast? Is it a melanorosaurid? >>

I recall that the most complete "description" published so far appeared in
Dong Zhiming's 1992 book Dinosaurs of China (Springer-Verlag). My copy of
this item is buried right now so I can't check my memory. It's apparently
some kind of large prosauropod, indeed on record as the largest Chinese
prosauropod, maybe 12-13 meters long. Unfortunately, it's not dealt with in
the Glut encyclopedias, except for a mention in Supplement 2, where it's
listed as Sauropoda incertae sedis.
Luckily my copy is right behind me.

...A saurischian dinosaur was collected from this unit by Zhao. In Zhao's
opinion, it was identified by Ye Chu-hui (1975) as a primitive sauropod to
support the belief that the age of this formation is Early Jurassic. Ye
published the name "Chinshakiangosaurus chunghoensis" without drawings or
description, so it is a nomen nudum. This is a large animal, 12-13 m in
length. The specimens were obtained from Zhonghe, Yungyin County, in 1970,
and come from the lower layers of the Fengiahe Formation. This is equivalent
to the Dull Purplish Beds of the Lower Lufeng Formation. The specimens
include a fragmentary lower jaw, dorsal vertebrae and several anterior
caudal vertebrae, a pair of scapulae, an incomplete pelvic girdle, and the
hind limbs. Its teeth show characters of a primitive sauropod, but detailed
comparison suggests it should be referred to a prosauropod dinosaur. The
lower jaw is shallow and nearly round in transverse section, similar to
those of prosauropods. The femur is robust, with a rather strongly inturned
femoral head. In medial view, it is almost straight, with little sigmoidal
curvature and a developed fourth trochanter. IT may be referred to the
Melanorosauridae, which became large and fully quadrapedal. These animals
have been found in contemporary deposits in South Africa and Argentina.
There were also some footprints found in this unit, which is Early Jurassic
(Liassic) in age, based on invertebrate fossils, ostracods, and bivalves (Ye
1975, Wang et al. 1982)...

Wouldn't it be a hoot if it was a Therizinosaurid? :)

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074