Re: Dinosaur discoveries wow Boston

Jack Kolb (kolb@ucla.edu) reported:

<Duck muzzle

The spinosaur was uncovered in Niger, Africa, on what Dr Sereno said was
an amazing expedition which brought away 20 tonnes of fossils and rock.

The spinosaur specimen was found within 80 kilometres of the site of the
dwarf crocodile skull also displayed at the AAAS meeting.

This fossil came from a 60-centimetre-long animal that has yet to receive
a formal classification but which has been dubbed the "duck croc" because
of its unusual jaws.

"It has a muzzle that looks like a duck," Dr Sereno said. "It's very broad
but the upper jaw hangs over the lower jaw, so viewed from the side you
don't even see the lower jaw. There's no interaction between the teeth at
all.">

  Can anyone say, "Anatosuchus"? :)

=====
Jaime A. Headden