VERY Stupid question, but I dont know the answer...

Here is the question:
Its about dinosaur grouping.As all of us know there are many dinosaur familys like tyrannosauridae, spinosauridae, dromeosauridae and many others.My question is why is a family named after one individual from many others of its family.For example, why couldent the family tyrannosauridae be named daspletosauridae, daspletosaurus is from tyrannosauridae, so why was T-rex chosen to represent the family? I know that the characteristics of the T-rex resemble those to others of its group, but dont the characteristics of daspletosaurus resemble those of T-rex.
 I am very confused could someone explain this to me?

               Thanks for your atention!

---