Re: Leptocleidus question

Dann,
Our site in South Dakota has numerous juvenile remains
of Trinacromerum. We have some femora (or humeri)that
are only 8 cm in length and a few that are three times
that. We think this was a shallow area off an island
and it also may have been used as a breeding area.
If you do get a copy of this article I would love to
see one myself.
Thanks for the information!
Barry Kazmer

--- Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> Not quite a dinosaur (not even close really), but
> seeing as Ben Kear's
> name keeps popping up in regards to South Australian
> material recently,
> does anyone know off-hand whether the juvenile
> Leptocleidus specimen has
> been published in Lethaia yet? It was submitted some
> time in 2001, so it
> may be a while yet.
>
> It's interesting that around 95% of the marine
> reptile remains from
> South Australia are from juvenile animals, giving
> rise to the thought
> that the polar waters in the area may have been used
> as a birthing
> ground. Particularly given the number of juvenile
> (and sometimes
> embryonic) hypsilophodontid material that appears in
> the more southerly
> sites as well, perhaps indicating a preference for
> colder climates to
> nest in (a la some modern geese). Perhaps a predator
> avoidance strategy?
>
> http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/plesiosaur/screen.htm
> (for info on the spectacularly opalised Addyman
> Plesiosaur, and on the
> amount of juvenile marine reptile remains being
> recovered)
>
> --

> Dann Pigdon                   Australian Dinosaurs:
> GIS Archaeologist
> http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs
> Melbourne, Australia
> http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/