Sereno's work & public appeal

Paul Sereno has an extraordinary gift of being able to balance an ambitious, and very successful campaign of scientific discovery, generating public interest, and the timely release of his discoveries to both the public and the scientific community. I think some of his nomenclatural practices are awful, but overall he seems to be one of the best things that has happened to vertebrate paleontology in the past decade or so. Novacek and Norell do it very well, but Sereno appears to be taking it to the next level and doing an extraordinary job.
I think he should be emulated in his careful, but timely release of scientific information. This is obviously a very efficient and effective way of doing things, speeds up the process in a responsible way, and avoids the frustration and unpleasantness that surround discoveries like Protoavis. Public interest and support are crucial to continued funding endeavors.
Sereno seems to be doing for vertebrate paleontology what Simon Conway Morris has done for invertebrate paleontology (and what Thomas Cavalier-Smith is more quietly doing for the study of protists and bacteria). I sometimes disagree with some of their conclusions, but overall these are three giants in the field of systematics, and I very highly recommend their work.
------ Ken Kinman
Thomas R. Holtz wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,652476,00.html

A report about Sereno's press conference at the AAAS meeting.