Subject: What happens if we purposely make a taxon non-eponymous?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:40:17 -0800

For instance, say I name a non-neoceratosaur "Neoceratosaurus", a non-sauropod "Sauropus" or a non-marginocephalian "Marginocephale". This makes the clade non-eponymous, which isn't allowed. But the ICZN can't reject my name for that reason. Will that force the renaming of the clades in question (sure to piss a lot of people off), or could you petition the ICZN for another genus name? Or would people just put up with it because the clades weren't named after the genus?