Dinosauria---Rejected Name?

Nick P. wrote:
And who even knows about a group like Mammalia. So why bother with descriptive names?
Be careful what you wish for. We'll have to get rid of "Dinosauria"---(1) it's descriptive; and (2) worse yet, Dinosaurus is a genus of therapsid. EGAD!!! Looks like "Dinosauria" must be rejected on two grounds.
And you might not like it so much if workers in other fields (invertebrates, plants, microbes) start dumping their familiar descriptive names (and a few have tried to do just that). Do you want to learn a huge list of weird new names and throw out all those horrible old descriptive names like:
Chordata, Echinodermata, Ctenophora, Cnidaria, Porifera, Arthropoda, Insecta, Crustacea, Diplopoda, Cephalapoda, Gastropoda, Trilobita, Cirripedia, Tardigrada, Platyhelmintha, Agnatha, Anthozoa, Scyphozoa, Fungi, Chrysophyta, Xanthophyta, Phaeophyta, Chlorophyta, Ciliophora, Cryptophyta, Rhodophyta, Haptophyta, Dinophyta, Foraminifera, Ascomycetes, Basidiomycetes, Cyanobacteria, Eubacteria, Metazoa, Metaphyta, Plantae, Aves, Mammalia, Tetrapoda, Polychaeta, Pogonophora, Scaphopoda, Asteroidea, Actinopterygii, Sarcopterygii, etc.
And I haven't even got down to Order level yet. It has been proposed that Lepidoptera be replaced by PAPIONIFORMES (and it certainly wasn't me), and likewise for various other insect orders. And no more Chiroptera, Rodentia, Primates, Anura, Squamata, Dinosauria, and so on. The typified systematization of Mollusca groups that has been proposed has enough weird names alone to make one want to swear off of typified names forever.
So I would again urge you to be CAREFUL what you wish for. Like that one Metallica song says, "you just might get it" (and then regret it). And the cladistic "King Nothing" may end up with classifications that nobody will use, and his nomenclatural castle will crumble. I think that might end up being a good theme song for PhyloCode. Who knows?
;-)
----- TGIF, Ken