Re: Ornithopsida (was Re: Dinosauria---Rejected Name?)

In a message dated 2/23/02 6:40:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
n_gardner637@hotmail.com writes:

> > > WARNING:  AMATEUR PALEONTOLOGIST REMINISCING...
>  > >
>  > > It's weird this would show up.  When I was younger and thought the
>  >Linnean
>  > > system could be salvaged, I used Ornithopsida as a subgroup below the
>  > > amniotes that contained archosaurs (including birds).  I didn't realize
>  >that
>  > > others used it,

Wow, and I thought I had made it up.  A while ago I suggested a system in
which the Amniota would be split up into Theropsida, Chelonopsida,
Herpetopsida, Suchopsida, and Ornithopsida.  Each would be a stem-based taxon
with a living amniote group as inclusive anchor.  It seemed like a nice,
logical system to me, but it was not well-received on-list. :-)

--Nick P.