Re: Dinosauria---Rejected Name?

In a message dated 2/22/02 6:50:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< There have been a number of replacement names
 floated; my personal pick is Ornithopsida, a stem-based taxon anchored on
 modern birds. >>

My preference for the name of this group is simply Ornithes, which is more or
less Greek for "birds." As I pointed out in my series on BCF in Dino Press
#4-6, dinosaurs should have been originally classified as birds rather than
reptiles, since they have more birdlike features than reptilian features.
Trouble is that paleontologists focused on the plesiomorphic reptilian
features (e.g., teeth) and not on the apomorphic birdlike features (e.g.,
skeletal pneumaticity, erect stance, foot anatomy), so as a result we must
fight nearly 200 years of ingrained tradition to get dinosaurs accepted as
birds.