Re: FEATHERS FOR T-REX?

I think they should say coelurosaurs were "protofeathered". They might have been more featherlike than psittacosaurid tail bristles, but until we know a whole lot more about these structures, I would not attach the name "feather" to any non-maniraptors.
The proponderance of the evidence does indicate that all small coelurosaurs (including baby tyrannosaurs) probably had a protofeathered covering. And just as adult elephants are sparsely covered with hairs, it is not unlikely that adult Tyrannosaurs probably retained something comparable (especially tufts on the head and/or tail). Known tyrannosaur skin impressions are consistent with this view.
My two cents,
Cheers, Ken
Michael Lovejoy wrote:
A quote from Walking on Eggs: "...coelurosaurs were feathered; even the colossal Tyrannosaurus must have had a feathered body at some early stage of its life. However, scientists do not believe that adult tyrannosaurs were feathered because the combination of this insulating covering and their large size might have posed a disadvantage in regulating the animal's body temperature."

OK, can anyone tell me what this belief is based on? Is there sound scientific evidence for it, or is it conjecture?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Michael Lovejoy