Re: FEATHERS FOR T-REX

I also doubt that Tyrannosaur hatchlings, had fuzzy feather-like structures.
My reasoning is:

1. The integument that shows that adults didnt have any feathers or fuzz.

2. All current modern analogs that can be used for models. Either have hair, no
hair, fuzz or no feathers at birth.

3. In present day situations there is no animal that loses it fur or feathers
as it grows.  Unless you count it getting some sort of mite or disease that
causes it(feather or fur loss).

Also, with feathers, the animal would have to be able to preen daily, and be
able be flexible enough to clean, delouse and keep there feathers oiled on a
daily basis.  Small birds area able to use there feet to scratch and are able
to move there head around to clean as well. Also the Struthioniformes, use use
there long necks to get at the hard to reach places, were they cant reach with
their feet. Though not positive if they even use there feet for preening either.
So the small maniraptorians were probally able to preen themself easier, with
long forelimbs, a long flexable neck. Where as the larger Tyrannaosaurs,
Allosaurs, etc. probally werent flexable enough to get every single part of
their feathered body. And if the larger ceolurosaurs had feathers, they would
probally  have very few in a small patch around the head neck.(my assumtions if
they had any)

> Why can't big ceolurosaurs have feathers? Ostriches, at 150kg are already too
> big to need feathers for insulation, especially given the climate they live
> in. (mass homeothermy starts around 100kg, Colbert 1946.)

Because the Struthioniformes have decended from birds that have feathers, and
they serve more than one function then just insulation now.

K.Wicks

<hr>