Re: Antarctic Elasmosaur

Larry wrote:

>One wonders then, (well,...I wonder then), if a case couldn`t be made for
elasmosaurs being somewhat warm-blooded to be living in a Polar region?

Why is it always with everyone that if a fossil is found in a cold climate,
they were 1) warmblooded and 2) living in the same type of envirement as
they did so long ago? First of all, I don't see any reason that Elasmosaurs,
Ichtyosaurs or Mosasaurs being warmblooded. Alright, you can't base an
argument on a bad feeling in the stomach, but these type of animals are
related to basal diapsids and not to the lineage that will eventually
produce archosaurs. Studies have proven that, based on plant-evidence, that
area or at least Antarctica had lush plant life, something that could only
be expected in a warm envirement. The climate should have been warm at the
time, possibly with small lakes in which this Elasmosaur could live.

Rutger Jansma