RE: FEATHERS FOR T-REX

From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of Michael Lovejoy

Tom Holtz writes:  "bears from paleotropical
and neotropical rainforests can be quite hairy.
Please note, though: that was just a reminder, and not an excuse to start
drawing shaggy rexes! "

 > Why not?
>
 > Assuming tyrannosaurs were phylogenetically likely to be feathered, why would they lose them?

Actually, I didn't mean "don't put feathers on them"; I meant "it might look silly to make the feathers as shaggy as in a ground sloth or a sloth bear".

 > Why can't big ceolurosaurs have feathers? Ostriches, at 150kg are already too big to need feathers for insulation,
> especially given the climate they live in. (mass homeothermy starts around 100kg, Colbert 1946.)
 > Many other birds weighed much more, up to 500kg! So why can't T-rex be feathered?

No reason why they couldn't, although the few patches of tyrant skin I've seen (one from the tail region, one uncertain where it was from) has very tiny pebbled scales.

Also, size matters, and there is a (biophysiological) world of difference between 500 kg and 5000 kg, as we will all be shortly reminded later today (he said once again, cryptically, although this being Wednesday I think people might be suspicious... :-).

 > (Once again, thanks everyone for your replies. Got one from Tom Holtz! How much better can life get?)

Well, $1 billion wouldn't hurt! :-)

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
Department of Geology           Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
University of Maryland          College Park Scholars
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Phone:  301-405-4084    Email:  tholtz@geol.umd.edu
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796