Re: FEATHERS FOR T-REX?

From: "Michael Lovejoy" <michael@palaeoproductions.fsnet.co.uk>

I have heard of three cases of tyrannosaur skin. None of these involve >more than a small portion of skin AFAIK. Therefore they do not rule >out the possibility of at least partial feathering. All extant birds >have scales and/or naked skin on some parts.

I never said that tyrannosaurids couldn't have had feathers. I was simply responding to Tom Holtz's sarcastic remark about shaggy tyrannosaurids. The skin impressions show that they were not mammoth-like in appearance, so I was trying to simply rule that possibility out by saying they weren't "covered" in feathers.

I've also read that the tyrannosaur skin is identical to hadrosaur >skin from the same deposits. I don't know what that was based on, as I >can find the ref.

Haven't heard this. From what I understand, the tyrannosaurid skin impressions look somewhat "naked", in that the preserved scales are comparatively quite small.

Finally, why is it not possible for large ceolurosaurs to have >feathers?

I think it was Jaime Headden (and maybe a few others) who mentioned a while ago that it was inefficient for any animal over a tonne to support any sort of feathery or furry integument. Then there was Tom Holtz's remarks just yesterday...

Jordan Mallon