Re: FEATHERS FOR T-REX

Sorry to have to belabor this point, but I think it causes problems to continue referring to these structures as "Feathers". Hairlike "PROTOfeathers" would not require preening (even if such structures had begun to split into something more complex). I still prefer thinking of adult tyrannosaurs sort of like elephants (and elephants certainly don't "groom" their sparse covering of hair).
I suspect adult tyrannosaurs (and a lot of other early coelurosaurs) probably took "dust baths". And maybe an occasional wallowing in the mud if the insects were tormenting them. If tyrannosaurs did have something like a protofeather crest (on the head, spine, and/or tail; or even sparsely on other areas), I think dust baths would have sufficed. Precision preening or oiling would probably have been unnecessary.
What the baby tyrannosaurs might have had is anybody's guess, but a more extensive covering of protofeather structures would not surprise me. On the other hand they might have had something sparse like that on baby elephants. Maybe an extraordinary fossil find will someday answer such questions. In the meantime, such things are fun to think about.
----- Cheers, Ken
paleo_mont wrote:

I also doubt that Tyrannosaur hatchlings, had fuzzy feather-like structures. My reasoning is:

1. The integument that shows that adults didnt have any feathers or fuzz.

2. All current modern analogs that can be used for models. Either have hair, no hair, fuzz or no feathers at birth.

3. In present day situations there is no animal that loses it fur or feathers as it grows. Unless you count it getting some sort of mite or disease that causes it(feather or fur loss).

Also, with feathers, the animal would have to be able to preen daily, and be able be flexible enough to clean, delouse and keep there feathers oiled on a daily basis. Small birds area able to use there feet to scratch and are able to move there head around to clean as well. Also the Struthioniformes, use use there long necks to get at the hard to reach places, were they cant reach with their feet. Though not positive if they even use there feet for preening either.
So the small maniraptorians were probally able to preen themself easier, with long forelimbs, a long flexable neck. Where as the larger Tyrannaosaurs, Allosaurs, etc. probally werent flexable enough to get every single part of their feathered body. And if the larger ceolurosaurs had feathers, they would probally have very few in a small patch around the head neck.(my assumtions if they had any)