Re: Arctometatarsalia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:11 AM

> <I think maybe you're using the word "homologous" differently than they
> do. They are using it to mean "synapomorphic".>
>
>   Exactly. The word is, as I understand it, in meaning "matching in
> structure or position, form, etc." This is how my Webster's (Macmillan
> Press, 1995) defines it, in any course.

Webster would be brutally slain by several biology professors if he came too
close to the university here. I was examined about the meaning of that word
3 or 4 weeks ago. In order to be homologous, 1 feature in 2 organisms must
have been present in their MRCA, whether it still looks similar and is in
the same relative place (which are of course a major reasons to _suspect_
homology) or not.