Re: FEATHERS FOR T-REX?

>      I think they should say coelurosaurs were "protofeathered".  They might
> have been more featherlike than psittacosaurid tail bristles, but until we
> know a whole lot more about these structures, I would not attach the name
> "feather" to any non-maniraptors.
>      The proponderance of the evidence does indicate that all small
> coelurosaurs (including baby tyrannosaurs) probably had a protofeathered
> covering.  And just as adult elephants are sparsely covered with hairs, it
> is not unlikely that adult Tyrannosaurs probably retained something
> comparable (especially tufts on the head and/or tail).  Known tyrannosaur
> skin impressions are consistent with this view.
>           My two cents,
>               Cheers,    Ken

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How so, all small coelurosaurs with "feather" impressions are maniraptoran
(with the possible exception of _Sinosauropteryx_ who is apparently a mess). We
have no coelurosaur impressions from non-maniraptorans that aren't multitonne.

Of the tyrannosaurs we see they did have scales. They might have been fine
scales, but that doesn't mean that they were interspersed with hairs. Geckos
have fine scales as well, sometimes to the point of feeling velvety, yet they
show no hairs inbetween them.

I honestly don't see how any known tyrannosaurid impressions are consistant
with a elephantine view (they weren't naked, afterall).

Jura

Ectoparasite: external parasites. Some common ectoparasites include: ticks,
mites & personal injury attorneys.

The Reptipage
http://reptilis.net