Re: R: New Tyrannosaurus paper

A couple of comments here.

> Tracy wrote:
>> Ok, he's done all that, but that doesn't mean he's understand the
>> differences completely and has made the common mistake of assuming the two
>> are the same, they ain't.
>
>***** isn't it more likely that YOU're making the (un)common mistake of
>thinking that he's not thought about it and has already assumed that the two
>things are not the same??  mh...
>
>> How can you compare a distal end of a femur that has a nearly right angle
>> distal end with one that has a more horizontal one and say they are the
>> same?
>
>***guess we've already been told he's not said this..

In point of fact, the model John used is flexible with regard to various
joint angles.  John (who has looked at more theropod hips, living or
extinct, than almost anyone) knows full-well what the differences are, and
these can be accounted for in the model to some degree. He devoted a full
paragraph to this very issue in his paper.

I can only reinforce what other people have said - read the paper, THEN
comment on it.

In another post:

>I've always been a fan of slow theropods, but this seems almost too
>slow.  One reason for a slower speed would be the amount of damage
>caused by a fall -- a huge risk for a high mass animal, even if the
>probability of a fall were small.

Here's an experiment to try:

1.  Obtain the following animals:  a cheetah, a human, and a horse.

2.  Have them all run at top speed along a straight line.

3.  Trip them.

4.  Check for vital signs.

chris

Christopher A. Brochu