Re: New Tyrannosaurus paper

Dear all,

It seems to me that the mechanics of a biped running and falling are
different form a quadruped running and falling.  And by "biped" I don't mean
humans, because we're just very clumsy bipeds.  However, many people compare
a horse falling to a T. rex falling, but why not compare it to an ostrich
falling, instead?  Now, I'm not an ostrich farmer or anything, but in all my
years of watching "Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter," I've never seen an
ostrich or other ratite trip or fall, unless the esteemed Mr. Irwin was
grappling with their legs in order to not get disembowled.  How likely is
it, then, for dinosaurs,past and present, to fall?  (Yes, I know that
ratites and tyrannosaurs are very different animals, an idea which, if I
hadn't known it earlier, has been hammered into me by this list
recently--but if anyone can find a T. rex and trip it for me, I'll be very
pleased.  Meanwhile, ostrich farms are more readily available.)

Second question: how does one measure the hip height of a T.rex, and how on
earth does one measure the stride of a T. rex?

Third question: what does Hutchinson's paper imply for T. rex stamina?  If
it was just walking, then couldn't T. rex, or any large theropod, go for
quite a while?

Fourth (and last) question: the "Groucho walk" was seen as a way for bipeds
like T. rex to increase their speed without running, so how do ideas like
this fit in with the new biomechanical work and Hutchinson's paper?

Thanks,

Demetrios Vital

P.S.  How come the T. rex didn't trip when it RAN INTO A FALLEN TREE in
"Jurassic Park?"  That's always bothered me--it ran headlong into a tree.
Oh well.  And who in their right mind runs a theme park and leaves fallen
trees across the roadways that a car can barely drive under?  Argh--the
inconsistencies of Hollywood!