Re: paraphyletic Dromaeosauridae (Variraptor)

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:02:42
 Ken Kinman wrote:
>Dear All,
>      Decided that perhaps Variraptor (and Pyroraptor?) might belong with
>the "utahraptorines", or maybe even slightly more primitive (as show below).

Be careful.  There is nothing to suggest that _Variraptor_ is even still valid.
 Allain and Taquet (2000) (maybe HP Allain will enlighten us further) sunk this
genus as a nomen dubium in their paper on the French dromaeosaurid
_Pyroraptor_.  IIRC, they pointed out that the holotype of _Variraptor_
possessed no truly diagnostic features, and that the majority of the original
_Variraptor_ diagnosis was based on a vertebra found quite some ways from the
type specimen (and at one point referred to, in a previous paper, as
Dromaeosauridae indet.)

_Pyroraptor_, on the other hand, is much stronger taxonomically speaking.  It
has been suggested that the _Variraptor_ material may represent a _Pyroraptor_
individual, although this likely won't be able to be determined due to the poor
quality of the material.

Anyway, back to watching football.

Steve

>      Coded the main dromaeosaurids (sensu stricto) together in one clade
>(clade 3A-3B), although my intuition is that dromaeosaurines are more
>primitive than velociraptorines (as I coded it earlier).
>     And moved the problematic Bambiraptor up closer to them.  Think I'll
>mull over this topology for a while:
>
>Dromaeosauridae
>   1  Variraptor (and Pyroraptor?)
>   2  Achillobator