Re: The mystery of the furcula

> Are there even any theropods left that had unfused clavicles (and
> therefore make this character worthwhile)?

All that's left AFAIK are *Eoraptor* and Herrerasauridae whose clavicles are
unknown.

> [...], Suchomimus,

Scroll to the bottom of
http://www.projectexploration.org/niger2000/10_03_2000.htm. Looks very much
like that of

> [...] Velociraptor[...].  A good case could be made for
> Sinosauropteryx and ornithomimosaurs having unossified furculae, but
> besides that....

*Sinosauropteryx* actually has something ossified there, shown in Mesozoic
Vertebrate Life.

> > Pterosauria? Pterodactyloidea? Proboscidea?<<
> > Took me a few minutes with the pterosauria. For those of you out there
> > that don't get it, I think he's referring to Eudimorphodon which has two
> > types of
> > teeth in the lower jaw that looks some Tanystropheous specimens. I don't
> > know Proboscidea so I can't say anything about it.

*Eudimorphodon* is one of those that I thought about (don't know about
*Tanystropheus*, but the teeth of *Eudimorphodon* look very mammalian).
        Recent elephants and their closest relatives have (even relatively)
enormous teeth with lots of lamellae, while e. g. the deinotheres had much
more normal therian teeth (take one of your molars and connect the cusps to
transverse ridges).

> I think what David's referring to in the Pterodactyloidea is the great
> disparity between say, Pterodaustro's pseudo-baleen, the blunt teeth of
> dsungaripterids, the fangs of Cearadactylus and the plesiomorphic teeth of
> Pterodactylus.

And the triangular teeth of *Istiodactylus* which look like those of every
evil toothed comic beast: they interlock precisely ^^^^^^.